Scandinavian design embraces minimalism and simplicity, creating a serene vibe. In a Scandinavian-designed space, wood floors, white walls and light neutrals, such as white and pale gray, are typically the foundation. This neutral aesthetic is highlighted by textured accessories, such as luxe, tonal knots and furniture with simple, clean lines. Read on to learn more about the Scandinavian home decor style.
What is Scandinavian Design?
Scandinavian design goes beyond IKEA and hygge. Scandinavian design aims to improve your overall well-being. Natural hardwood or white floors help brighten the space and the furniture is focused on function. Light-soaked spaces are also a hallmark of Scandinavian design, so window treatments are sheer to allow light to shine through the home.
Scandinavian design focuses on natural materials, functionality and simplicity, to focus on the minimalist, elegant aesthetic.
- Scandinavian furniture typically has simple, clean-lined silhouettes.
- Neutral colors are the foundation of a Scandinavian decor scheme, but color accentuates the space. Colors may include dark blue, gray, green or brown. The nature-inspired shades contribute to creating an all-over cozy space.
- While Scandinavian decor is minimal, it is far from cold and stark. Soft textiles, such as wool, sheepskin and mohair create warmth as well as add visual interest.
- Scandinavian decor balances minimalism and comfort. While furniture may be streamlined, layering rugs, stacking linen cushions, or draping sheepskin blankets will keep the space cozy.
How to Create a Scandinavian Space
Designing a Scandinavian-inspired space means starting with a neutral foundation and layering in textural textiles and small amounts of color.
To create a Scandinavian-inspired space:
- Begin with bare wood floors, white walls and windows that allow ample light to shine through.
- Add furniture in clean-lined silhouettes, neutral colors and an abundance of textiles.
- Remember that form always follows function in a Scandinavian decor plan.
Where to Shop for Scandinavian Pieces
A home that embraces the Scandinavian decor style blends minimalism with comfort. Below are tried-and-true retailers that have an affinity for Scandinavian home decor.
- Skagerak’s extensive inventory would let you add Scandinavian flair to every area of your home.
- by Lassen is a Danish design company that sells nearly unlimited Scandinavian products
- Ferm Living is a one-stop shop for Scandinavian decor pieces.
If you’re looking to create a Scandinavian space, follow this guide to create a home designed around wood floors, white walls, light neutrals and plenty of light.