RISMEDIA, July 19, 2008-The summer vacation season is getting in full swing and fuel prices are rising faster than the temperature. But drivers can stretch each tank of gas by roughly 10% with simple driving tips and smart car care solutions from 3M Car Care.
“Over the life of a car, poor fuel efficiency and excessive fuel use can lead to hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in added expense,” said John Marmar, U.S. business manager, 3M Car Care products. “Properly maintaining the vehicle and watching your driving style are two of the best ways to maximize fuel efficiency and reduce long term expenses.”
3M Car Care offers six tips to maximize your car’s fuel performance.
1. Check tire pressure – Improperly inflated tires can greatly reduce fuel economy, so make sure tires are inflated to the manufacturer’s recommended pressure listed on the inside of the driver’s side door. The correct tire pressure will also provide a safer ride and help reduce tire wear.
2. Let your engine breathe – Replacing a dirty, clogged air filter will go a long way in improving fuel efficiency. According to the federal government, a car’s gas mileage could improve by as much as 10% with a clean air filter. In addition to the fuel savings, the new filter will help protect the engine.
3. Keep the fuel system clean – Carbon and resin buildup in a car’s fuel system reduces fuel efficiency. You can clean the entire fuel system with the new 3M DIY Fuel System Tune Up Kit. With just one tool and 45 minutes, it cleans the engine, fuel injectors, intake manifold, intake valves, combustion chambers and throttle plate with the same trusted 3M products used by automotive professionals. Keeping the fuel system clean helps maximize the engine’s performance, extend the life of the engine and improve mileage.
4. Keep it cool inside – Summer heat requires air conditioning, but AC can account for up to 5% of a car’s fuel consumption. Using 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Film can keep the sun and heat at bay – making the vehicle cooler and reducing the demand on a vehicle’s air conditioning system. Even better, 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Films offer many of the benefits of darker window tints, with the option of being virtually clear in color.
5. Take it easy and slow down – Driving a car at a high speed, “jackrabbit starts” and aggressive driving in traffic can greatly reduce fuel efficiency. The U.S. Department of Energy says “As a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas.” And every time you “hit the gas” you get closer to the next refill.
6. Put your car on a diet – Remove any unnecessary, heavy objects in the vehicle. An extra 100 pounds can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 2%. Even removing golf clubs can help lighten the load.
For more information, visit www.3Mcarcare.com.